CMAA Central PA Chapter Scholarship Committee Plan
April 28, 2020
Committee Chair: Chris Cunningham, CCM
The purpose of this plan is to identify and implement the items listed below in order to get the newly formed CMAA Central PA Chapter’s Scholarship Committee established as well as issue scholarships for deserving students.
The following are crucial for a successful scholarship committee:
1. Committee Members – As of today, only 2 members are part of this committee: Committee Chair and Tim Gingrich (JTM). Chair will work the Chapter board and members to enlist more members of this committee.
2. Establish Recurring Scholarship Committee Meetings – Once the committee members are identified, Chair will set up recurring meetings to discuss committee business.
3. Fund Raising – As with the Chapter and other committees, funds are needed to issue scholarships. We have a goal of three (3) each $1,000.00 scholarships for next year with a long-term goal of three (3) or more scholarships totaling $5,500.00 per year. Chair will work with the committee and Chapter to establish fundraising events and activities in order to support the new scholarship program. If more funds are available in 2020, the $1,000.00 scholarships will be increased in value or quantity.
4. Finalize Draft Scholarship Package – Accompanied with the Scholarship Committee Plan is the draft Scholarship application package. Chair facility package review with committee members, Chapter board, and the other committee chairs.
5. Scholarship Implementation Date – As the Chapter has just started, our goal for scholarship awards will be for the 2020-2021 school year. We will be able to issue three (3) $1,000.00 scholarships for the 2020-2021 school year.
6. Coordinate with Student Chapter Chairs – Chair will coordinate with the Student Chapter Chairs.
7. Identify Scholarship Selection Committee - Chair to develop selection committee with recommendations from the Board.
8. Application, Selection and Award Timeline – Committee to develop timeline which will identify due date for the scholarship applications, selection process and Award announcement at the January Award meeting. Proposed timeline:
i. June 1, 2020 – Applications available
ii. August 31, 2020 – Applications received
iii. September 18, 2020 – Initial Application Vetting for completeness complete
iv. October 30, 2020 – Selection committee identifies potential winner and notifies Board
v. December 4, 2020 - Board review complete and winners identified
vi. December 15, 2020 – Notify Winners
vii. January 28, 2021 – Present scholarships
9. Selection Process - Initial evaluations will be performed by Scholarship Committee members to ensure all requirements have been met. Once initial evaluations are complete, Selection committee will meet to review the qualified applicants and evaluate on the following criteria as identified in the application package:
academic performance: 40%
quality of essay on future plans and scholarship interest: 25%
recommendation of faculty advisor: 15%
involvement and/or leadership position in the Student Chapter: 10%
extracurricular activities: 10%
10. CMIT Exam Fees - The chapter will pay the $125 CMIT exam fee for six (6) people in 2020. The fee will be reimbursed to the first 6 people that email their certification to the committee after they successfully pass the exam..